Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Movement/momentum

From looking at movement for the digi-cult, I realised even though all my previous projects used movement, I didn't really focus on it as it wasn't the primary objective. But that shouldn't mean I should overlook movement and momentum.
In my previous dinosaur battle, I overlooked momentum, a critical element in all (if not most) fighting styles/dancing/movement. For example a boxer unleashing a unchallenged barrage of punches would be more effective than the same amount being countered by the other boxer. The increasing momentum would make the attacker more confident as the defender would become increasingly unbalanced, making for an easier target.
This is the same in some parts of the animal kingdom, where a peregrine falcon can break bones of it's prey from diving from the air.


In the second half of the video it shows a goshawk flying through a forest of trees, near the ground, split second timing, at high speed. The animal camera gives you a real feeling of the speed. I could easily do something similar in my animation with a POV shot.
I will have to play around with the frame rate though. I think 24 fps will be enough.

I will definitely experiment with visual ways of depicting mass speed.


Mantis shrimp punches so fast underwater it generates heat and light.
I think I will encorporate this when my character activates super speed, could generate light in the dark, or set the grass on fire as a side effect.

I also saw a video where seals can hunt fish not using sight or sound, but feeling the wake of the fish with its sensitive whiskers.

Saw this in the weekend. The painterly effect plus the blur streaks gives it a real sense of movement on a static page.

No comments:

Post a Comment